Pages

Wednesday 27 September 2017

Thirty Days hath September - Day Twenty Seven - Beaucroft School

Day Twenty Seven? How is that even possible?

That means there are only two days until the auction - yikes!

A slightly quieter day today, which I'm not going to lie, has been lovely. A chance to take stock, pause and inhale deeply before the final push of the weekend.

This afternoon was spent with the fabulous team at Beaucroft School in Colehill, a village near to my location. Beaucroft is a Foundation Special School that caters for children and young people between the ages of 4 and 19 who are experiencing learning difficulties, including complex needs and those with an Autistic Spectrum Disorder.

I had been invited by an old friend of mine to come and work with the Lulworth class who are all currently looking at the theme of 'Me' so had been exploring portraits in various media. I was shown in to class by the lovely Phoebe and she introduced to me to all her classmates and they shared their projects including using watercolours and found objects which were adorning the walls.

We started by suggesting that they use some observation skills to paint me, with a few portrait 'rules' along the way but of course, rules were made to be broken so we had a few eyes in different places and I had a couple of chins at one point. Oh, hang on a minute, that's pretty well observed ha ha.

After concentrating really hard on their paintings, we also did a quick collage exercise using pictures cut from magazines to assemble our own fantasy portraits and I found myself not wanting to leave this bright and vibrant classroom.

Here is Anna's beautiful portrait of me:






Apart from the children in class, I've never been so impressed by the dedication, indefatigable enthusiasm and caring nature of the team of Zoe, Neil and Sam, all of whom deal with the challenges the children face without hesitation. I came out feeling very humble and extremely honoured to have spent time with all of them.

Anna and a couple of the children have VERY kindly agreed to donate their paintings to the auction, so if for no other reason, pop over to the donation page on auction day and donate what you can so that I can go back to the class and tell them how much money their paintings raised.

https://mydonate.bt.com/fundraisers/alisoncboard

Tomorrow - Coloured Pencils. What was I thinking?

No comments:

Post a Comment